Netflix’s newest original film is no loser

Jamey+showing+affection+to+Sierra%2C+not+in+spite+of+her+size+but+because+of+it%2C+shows+there+is+no+specific+idea+of+what+a+person%E2%80%99s+%E2%80%9Ctype%E2%80%9D+should+be.+

Netflix

Jamey showing affection to Sierra, not in spite of her size but because of it, shows there is no specific idea of what a person’s “type” should be.

Jordan Owens, Staff Writer

Netflix has been releasing so many great movies lately. First it was “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before” and now “Sierra Burgess Is a Loser.” “Sierra Burgess Is a Loser” is an amazing movie with an unbelievable cast. Two of the cast members, Shannon Purser and Noah Centineo, are in different Netflix originals already.

Netflix
“Sierra Burgess Is a Loser” is not the cliché romantic comedy. It shows that people should not have a specific idea of what a person should look like, and tells many girls high school is not always a competition.

This teen romance movie is not a cliché film. It follows Sierra Burgess as she goes through her last year as a high school student. Sierra is a plus-sized girl who is constantly being picked on by the most popular girl in school, Veronica. One day, the quarterback of their rival school’s football team starts texting Sierra, believing she is Veronica. Following this, Sierra is forced to make a deal with Veronica, her own bully, in order to keep up the false persona.

Throughout the movie, Sierra and Veronica get to know each other. As they discover each other’s faults and perfections, an unlikely friendship forms between them. This friendship is atypical of the standard teen drama because it shows the audience that girls don’t always have to be in a competition with each other. They should actually help and support one another the way Sierra and Veronica do. The girl power in this movie is only one of the reasons why “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” comes highly recommended.

The message of body positivity in this movie is another reason why it is so admirable. In the beginning and middle of the movie, whenever Sierra is being picked on about her weight, viewers can see how well she handles it. Instead of taking the insults with silence, she sometimes throws a witty comment back at the person insulting her. As the movie progresses, she begins to let loose and gain confidence the more she puts herself out there.

At the end of the movie, Sierra writes a song called “Sunflower” which talks about how she does not look like the ideal type of girl guys would want, in this case, a rose. She plays it for her family and friends, causing them to tell her that she is perfect no matter what. It also causes her love interest, Jamey, the quarterback of the football team, to tell her that even though she might not be everyone else’s type, she is his type. “Sierra Burgess is a Loser” portrays that body shape or size should not matter, but personality should when it comes to what one’s “type” is.

Though this movie is great, it receives unnecessary hate because it was released only twenty days after the release of “To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before.” Since the main guy character in each of the films are played by the same person and the movie’s genres are the same, the movies become easily comparable.

Netflix’s “Sierra Burgess Is a Loser” delivers a story that is not the cliché teen rom-com. It teaches girls there does not always have to be a competition between us, and it teaches all genders that one should not have a specific “type.” Netflix has done such an amazing job with this movie about body positivity and friendships, and I think other movie studios should take some notes.