The perfect soundtrack for an unforgettable summer

Hannah Fertig

Starr’s Mill student gazes out over the mountainous landscape of Yosemite Valley in Yosemite National Park. Wherever your summer takes you, don’t forget to take your music with you.

Ian Fertig, Staff Writer

As another school year comes to a close, it’s time to celebrate the end of ten months of confinement. Until August, we are all free to kick back, relax, and celebrate being alive however we choose. Here’s a playlist to help do just that.

Summer has been synonymous with freedom for as long as we’ve been students, and no doubt we will always associate the season with a certain amount of natural joy. No matter the reason, whether it’s no school, the sunshine, or the ability to go anywhere in the world, enjoy this summer. It won’t be long before we’re all back indoors in our lovely — and newly renovated — high school.

This playlist is a mashup of the most upbeat songs from various indie artists, including AJR, Two Door Cinema Club, Smallpools, Great Good Fine Ok, Saint Motel, Foster the People, and Jon Bellion. For more information about Smallpools, Saint Motel, and Great Good Fine Ok specifically, check out this story that focuses a bit on their music.

Every selected song has one important thing in common: capturing how summer feels. High school students during the summer are not students. They are just people, free to let loose and live a little. As the sun beats down and time slows to a crawl, everyone is truly free to be who they want to be and spend time with the people they care about.

If summer is not making you feel ecstatic to just exist, you are not doing it right. You are young, you are here, you are alive, and the Earth is just a big beautiful blue planet that is yours to explore. Your music should only help remind you of these things. Now go on, humble students of the Mill, and have some fun this summer. You’ve earned it.

Click here to listen to Starr’s Mill’s summer playlist on Spotify.