In life with Grayscale

Jordan Mizrahi

“Nella Vita,” Grayscale’s sophomore album, was released on Sept. 6. The band blends the classic sound of pop-punk with other elements of alternative-rock to create an album that will get Grayscale the recognition they deserve.

Rachel Laposka, Staff Writer

The alternative-rock scene in music is all over the place. Bands are releasing everything from melodic feel-good songs to upbeat songs with deep lyrics, and heavy instrumentals in love songs. The band Grayscale is able to include all three in one album.

“Nella Vita” is the band’s second full-length album. Their first album “Adornment” released in 2017, after the band signed with Fearless Records. Active since 2011, the band has made themselves known as an opening act for bigger names in the pop-punk genre like State Champs and Vans Warped. 

“Nella Vita” can be translated from Latin to mean “in life.” Lead singer Collin Walsh explains the meaning behind “Nella Vita” and why the record is very personal to him. To Walsh, everything in life is either good or bad, and the songs on “Nella Vita” give examples from his own personal life to show that. 

The album consists of twelve songs, all of which have such different vibes and show traits from different genres, not just alt-rock. A few of the tracks on this record have synths in the background that make them almost feel like a techno-song from the ‘80s. Some are classic pop-punk. There is even some plain acoustic thrown into the mix.

To me, every single song on the album does an amazing job at hooking the listener with not only the riffs and basslines but the lyrics as well. The three songs that hooked me are, “Painkiller Weather,” “What’s On Your Mind,” and “In My Arms.” 

“Painkiller Weather” is fascinating with its vocals. The almost gritty-sounding pop-punk vocals paired with a smooth bassline blended together in a way that gave me chills upon my first listen. 

This is a good example of upbeat sounding songs with dark, almost sad undertones. From the title, it is evident that “Painkiller Weather” is about drug abuse, more specifically, about a girl suffering from an addiction.

For Walsh, this track hits close to home. Not only is it about a girl he once loved, but it also goes hand-in-hand with the experiences he has had with his own mother. 

From heart-wrenching songs about grief, upbeat breakup songs, and sweet melodic love songs, ‘Nella Vita’ sets high hopes for the future of Grayscale.

— Staff Writer Rachel Laposka

“Painkiller Weather” expresses what it can be like to love someone fighting addiction — you want to help the person as much as you possibly can, but as Walsh says, “temptation’s won.”

“What’s On Your Mind” grabbed my attention within the first five seconds with the unique choice of instrumentals. It sounds like a cowbell with synths blended into the back. After about twenty seconds, the drums and guitar kick in with some backing vocals. 

Chorus wise, this song is my favorite — it is catchy, but not in an annoying way. Lyrically, it represents the frustration of being with somebody who is visibly upset, yet won’t talk about it. 

“In My Arms” is my favorite track on the album. I cannot describe this song as anything other than funky. The electronic samples mixed with claps in the beginning really sold it. This track is different, and is something I do not hear very often, especially from a band like Grayscale. 

While the instrumentals are upbeat and positive, the song itself has deeper meaning. The lyrics convey the pain a person may feel after leaving someone, and the hardships of getting over that person.

Grayscale is a band that pours their heart and soul into everything they release, and it shows. From heart-wrenching songs about grief, upbeat breakup songs, and sweet melodic love songs, “Nella Vita” sets high hopes for the future of Grayscale.