Tennis teams defeat Dublin in quarterfinals

Girls, boys headed for the semifinals

Jill Sellers

Juniors Dubie Dubin (left) and Max Yelken celebrate after their victory against Brookwood High School.

NIck Bryant, Staff Writer

The tennis teams know how to serve it up. After the girls’ team won state and the boys won the Region 4-AAAAA  title last year,  both teams are headed in the right direction to win a state title. The girls are currently 16-4 and the boys are 16-3.

The boys’ season began with a 5-0 sweep against Drew. “Both teams had performed very well with regards with the bad weather and lack of training due to that issue,” coach Ronald Mann said.

During the Deco Turf High School National tournament, junior Dubie Dubin was named to the Tournament All Team title. In this two-day tournament the boys team placed third overall, and the girls placed eighth.

“The team had so much fun together,” senior Caroline Kelly said. “Even though we didn’t do as well as we hoped, I was very proud of everyone.”

Jill Sellers
Junior Max Yelken focuses on returning the high-speed serve.

Dubin and junior Shaaz Peerani are co-captains for the boys’ team and seniors Rachel Williams and Kelly are co-captains for the girls’ team. Dubin is currently ranked first in singles on the team and Peerani is first in doubles.

Williams, Kelly and freshman Elena Werneke are best in singles, while juniors Mary Lloyd,  Amanda Nima and sophomores Daniella Vivas and Olivia Walker are best in doubles.

Both boys and girls teams advanced past the state quarterfinals in Dublin where they beat Camden County. The boys won 5-0 and girls, 3-2.

“We played very strong and the other team had some loud fans that we weren’t use to,” Kelly said.

The teams will go on to the semifinals, but the dates and the opposition have yet to be decided.