7 Panthers honored in Region 4-AAAAA All-Region team

Junior Lauren Yoss heads the ball in the Lady Panthers game against Northgate.

Gary Peurifoy

Junior Lauren Yoss heads the ball in the Lady Panthers’ game against Northgate.

Spencer Dawson, Staff Writer

Lady Panther soccer coach John Bowen was named the Coach of the Year for Region 4-AAAAA, and  junior forward  Lauren Yoss was named All-Region Player of the Year.  In addition, seven members of the girls’ and boys’ soccer  teams were named to the All-Region team.

Bowen has been the Lady Panthers’ head soccer coach for three years. “It is really an honor because it is voted on by the other coaches in the county,” Bowen said. “I really appreciate their vote of confidence in the work the girls and I do here at Starr’s Mill and what we stand for as a program.”

Gary Peurifoy
Lady Panther soccer coach John Bowen is selected as Region 4-AAAAA Coach of the Year.

Bowen has earned the respect of many on and off the field through his tactics and organization skills. “Coach Bowen is definitely the most organized, driven, and most punctual coach I have had,” senior goalkeeper Paige Betsill said. “I have enjoyed these three years with him. If he wouldn’t have taken the job, I don’t think the girls program would be where it is today.”

Yoss has been a starting varsity forward since her freshman year. This season alone, Yoss scored 26 goals and had 22 assists. She leads the team in goals scored. “It’s pretty cool to be selected, but I know there are many good players in this area that should have gotten it too,” Yoss said.

Also named to the all-region team along with Yoss and Betsill are  junior defender Dylan Patterson and junior midfielder Riley Clark. “It is a great feeling to end my senior year with that award,” Betsill said. “I am honored to be a part of that pool.”

The three Panthers selected from the boys’ team are senior goalkeeper Mitch Pattison and midfielder Brandon Oot along with junior defender Jack Van Nimwegen.

“It’s an honor and really cool to be selected,” Pattison said.