Girls’ soccer tested in Whitewater match, but not defeated

John Bowen, Coach

Starr’s Mill defeated crosstown rival Whitewater 4-0 in a non-region encounter on Tuesday evening. This moves the team’s overall record to 9-0-0.

The Panthers were on the attack from the first whistle and hit the back of the net less than two minutes into the match. A long throw by senior Lauren Yoss was flicked on by junior Ashton Nowicki before hitting a Wildcat defender. The ball fell to junior Ansley Peurifoy who made no mistake from 12 yards out and scored a goal for a 1-0 lead.

Starr’s Mill pressured Whitewater by staying encamped in the penalty box. The Panthers were unlucky not to add to their lead, hitting the crossbar and post four times before finally finding a breakthrough.

Senior Dylan Patterson’s corner kick was volleyed into the back of the net by Nowicki with just over 16 minutes remaining in the half to double the advantage.

Another Yoss throw met with Nowicki whose flick fell to the back post where junior Ashley Broderick headed the ball over the keeper and into the far side net, increasing the lead to 3-0 in the 37th minute. Starr’s Mill resumed the attack but could not add another goal prior to the half.  

Starr’s Mill had a strong defense with Patterson, Nowicki, sophomore Sara Biddle and junior Sky Dedrick completely shutting down any Whitewater push. Senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Walloch had little to do, and the Panthers did not allow a shot on their goal.

The second half started with a bang as the Panthers jumped up 4-0 inside of a minute. Senior Riley Clark subbed in for Yoss. Clark’s first shot was saved, but she collected the rebound and headed it in for the Starr’s Mill goal.

Senior Leslie Logan and Broderick were defensively tracking down, creating havoc for the Wildcat attack, while sophomores Macey Voorhies and Lauren Avidano patrolled midfield.

Whitewater proved to be a better competitor as the half went on, and a player hit a 30-yard free kick on frame, which Walloch collected. Junior Spencer Dawson picked up Walloch’s through ball from the feet of a Whitewater attacker, smothering the biggest Whitewater threat of the match. The team finished out the match with a 4-0 victory.

The girls look to continue their winning streak as they play host to Harrison in Panther Stadium on Friday night at 6 p.m. The girls’ junior varsity team hosts McIntosh’s freshmen team in the night cap at 8 p.m.

Edited by Morgan Evans, Staff Writer