Panthers ease past another region opponent, defeat Union Grove 5-0

John Bowen, Coach

On Tuesday night, Starr’s Mill cruised to a 5-0 victory over Union Grove. The win put the Panthers’ record at 13-2-0 overall and 10-0-0 in region play. The Panthers have yet to allow a goal in region play this season.

The Lady Panthers didn’t start strong on their first game back from spring break because of the Wolverines’ tough defense, but senior forward Riley Clark capitalized on an opportunity in the 17th minute. Clark received a pass from senior Lauren Yoss, made a move and scored to give the Panthers a 1-0 lead.

Union Grove continued to play great defense, but the Wolverines couldn’t slow down the Panthers’ relentless offense. In the 37th minute, on a pass from junior Ansley Peurifoy, Clark put the ball in the net again for her second goal of the night. The Panthers found themselves with a comfortable 2-0 at halftime.

To start the second half, Peurifoy displayed her own scoring ability and scored on a pass from Yoss, just 11 minutes into the half. The Panthers held a 3-0 lead, and in the final six minutes, Clark and sophomore Sara Biddle scored back-to-back goals within a minute of each other, as the Panthers secured the victory over Union Grove.

The Panthers weren’t pressured by the Wolverine offense, giving up only one shot that senior goalkeeper Ashlyn Walloch saved.

The Lady Panthers now prepare for a region championship match up tomorrow as they host crosstown rival McIntosh.  The 6 p.m. kickoff opens a varsity double header and the annual Battle for the Troops.  The teams will be raising funds for the Wounded Warrior Project and local First Responders.

Edited by Rilee Stapleton, Staff Writer