Varsity soccer splits double header against Northgate

Jenna Sanders

A Lady Panther attempts to steal the ball and keep the Vikings away from the box. Girls’ varsity soccer lost 3-0 in a shutout against the Northgate Vikings.

Jenna Sanders, Staff Writer

On Feb. 10, both soccer teams started off the season against Northgate. The Lady Panthers fought hard in the first game of the season, but ultimately lost to Northgate in a 3-0 shutout. While the girls fought a hard loss, boys varsity soccer defeated Northgate in a 1-0 shutout.

Jenna Sanders
A Lady Panther dribbles the ball on the defensive end of the field. Throughout the game, the Mill played the majority on the defensive end.

“It’s a bit little early in the season,” head girls varsity soccer coach John Bowen said, “We’re trying to see where everyone fits best.”

The girl’s game started off slow and the Mill was stuck on the defensive end, and struggled to keep the ball. When the Lady Panthers managed to get the ball, they could not match the defense of Northgate and only got the ball on the offensive side of the field a few times.

“It is what it is right now,” Bowen said. “We make it a little too easy at times. We give the ball away way too easily.”

The Vikings scored at the end of the first half, but not after senior keeper Spencer Dawson saved the ball six times throughout the entire game. The goal was scored from within the box, and was unmatched.

“We don’t have many full time strikers,” Bowen said. “We’ve got some people who usually play outside back playing striker, so it takes time for them to figure it out.”

The beginning of the second half was more of the same, the Lady Panthers could not keep the ball, and Northgate could not manage to score. This changed in the 20th minute of the second half when the Vikings scored their second goal that landed just below the bar.

“We tend to get in a rush when we do get the ball,” Bowen said. “So we end up giving the ball back too easily racking up the score against us.”

Two minutes after the second goal of the game, Northgate scored their third and final goal. As the Lady Panthers possessed the ball, the Vikings managed a steal on the back end and quickly landed a goal in the corner. After this, the Mill could not manage to get the ball on the other end of the field to even attempt a shot on goal.

“When you don’t have the ball much,” Bowen said, “you need to get organized and shape up and make sure you at least defend well.”

While the girls team could not manage to score a goal, the boys team defeated Northgate in a 1-0 shutout.

Shelby Foster
A varsity Panther soccer player receives a pass at the top of the box. The only goal of the boys game happened in the 15th minute of the first half.

“Part of the goals we had set before we started today was a shutout which we did,” head boys’ varsity soccer coach Mike Hanie said. “And to play together as a group.”

In the first half, the Panthers played an equally offensive and defensive game, but the Panthers scored in the 15th minute. Sophomore Jack Baker scored the first and only goal for the Panthers from within the box.

“Both teams played really hard, there were some fouls going on from both sides,” Hanie said. “When we play, it’s always a physical match.”

The second half consisted of a back and forth action between the Panthers and the Vikings. Neither team managed to score a goal, but both landed multiple attempts on goal. Sophomore keeper Michael Lantz did not allow for any goals to pass, keeping the game a shutout.

“We missed a lot of chances,” Hanie said. “We probably should have had four or five goals.”

On Feb. 14, the boys were defeated in a 3-0 shutout at Carrollton.

The Panthers next game is tomorrow in a doubleheader at home against St. Pius. The girls’ match begins at 5:55 p.m., followed by the boys’ match at 7:55 p.m.