Strong defense can’t contain Lady Golden Lion attack

The+Battle+for+the+Troops+will+commemorate+its+ten-year+anniversary+at+the+varsity+soccer+games+this+year+at+McIntosh+High+School.+All+proceeds+from+the+event+go+to+support+local+veterans+and+first+responders.+

Lilly Carter

The “Battle for the Troops” will commemorate its ten-year anniversary at the varsity soccer games this year at McIntosh High School. All proceeds from the event go to support local veterans and first responders.

John Bowen, Head Coach

Last night, the Starr’s Mill Lady Panthers played on the road against the St. Pius High School Lady Golden Lions.  Despite a strong defensive effort, the Lady Panthers lost in a close game, 2-0.

The match started with the Lady Golden Lions putting forth pressure on the Lady Panthers defense. Yet, the strong play of the back line, made up of seniors Sara Biddle and Kirsten Oates, junior Rachel Davison, sophomore Chloe Spradlin, and freshman Mary Jane Gagliano held them off, while freshman Zoey Stellman came up with some nice saves in the goal to keep the score 0–0.

With eight minutes to go in the first half, St. Pius scored. This gave the Lady Golden Lions a 1–0 halftime lead.

In the second half, the Lady Panthers continued to play hard, led by senior Macey Voorhies and the defense. Yet again, St. Pius scored, adding a second goal with 21 minutes to play in the game.  This proved to be the final as the Lady Golden Lions held off the Lady Panthers to give them their first loss of the season 2-0, moving their record to 2-1-1.

The Lady Panthers will play Feb. 19 in a varsity/junior varsity double header at home against Alexander starting at 5:55 p.m.

The boys’ soccer team defeated the Golden Lions in a 3-1 nailbiter. They play again Feb. 20 in  a JV/varsity double header at home against Harrison starting at 5:30 p.m.

Edited by Jenna Sanders, Sports co-Editor