More than another rivalry match

Bubble battle to benefit brave men and women

Design by Matt Tinsley / Southern Ground

Starr’s Mill is set to host the the annual Battle for the Troops rivalry game against the McIntosh Chiefs. The girls’ game will start at 5:55 p.m., and the boys’ game will begin at approximately 7:55 p.m.

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

In the excitement leading up to spring break, do not overlook the Battle for the Troops scheduled to take place April 13.  

Aside from the annual rivalry soccer games taking place between Starr’s Mill and McIntosh, the two schools are raising money to support military troops and first responders.

“I think the event is a beautiful recognition of the sacrifices these people have made for us by going to war for us to keep our freedom, and for the everyday sacrifices our first responders do to keep us safe,” Battle for the Troops coordinator Chrissy Ulversoy said. “We need to let them know that they are appreciated and the coming together of two rival schools to do this is awesome.”

The Battle for the Troops tradition began in 2010 when McIntosh High School agreed to collect money during the games between cross-town rivals. Each year, both schools sell t-shirts and pass donation buckets around the stands to collect money for charity.

This year, the money will be donated to Wounded Warriors and PTC Police Auxiliary.

In addition, the school that raises the most money can take pride in another form of victory over its rival.

In between the girls’ and boys’ games, there will be a short showcase on the field to recognize and applaud the veterans and first responders. In addition, this year a video will be shown on the scoreboard along with the presentation of the flag colors and a fly-by.

The annual battle between the Panthers and the Chiefs begins with the girls’ game at 5:55 p.m. The boys’ game will follow at approximately 7:55 p.m.