Panthers slash through records at Carrollton Invitational

Courtesy of Chad Walker (@SMtrackandfield)

Members of the varsity girls’ track and field team pose with their trophy. At the Carrollton Invitational, the girls finished in 2nd place overall behind Central Phenix City. The boys’ team finished 10th overall at the event.

Ty Odom, Staff Writer

Both the boys’ and girls’ track and fields teams showed out this past weekend at the Carrollton Invitational, tying and setting several records.

“We’re getting better,” head coach Chad Walker said. “We’ve got some strong kids that are doing well on the boys’ side and the girls’ side.”

On the boys’ team, senior Harrison Fultz set a meet record in the 800-meter race with a time of 1:55:92, remaining undefeated this season. Overall, the boys’ team finished in 10th place.

For the girls, junior Julia Colson tied a school record in the pole vault with a height of 11-feet, 6 inches. Senior Lea Duben tied the school record in the 300-meter hurdles with a time of 44.31 seconds, winning the event. The girls’ 4×400 relay, consisting of seniors Tara Davis, Duben, and Bree St. Julian, along with sophomore Allie Walker, finished first with a time of 3:54:94. The girls finished 2nd overall behind Central Phenix City.

“We’re third in 5A, but fifth overall,” Walker said. “It shows how tough our classification is.”

The Panther track and field team will be in action again at 4:15 p.m. on March 29 for the Friday Night Lights meet at Panther Stadium.