The final countdown

Games to watch during last week of regular season

Chris Dunn / cdphotography23.com

Senior Karsen Kalen looks to beat a Riverdale defender for a big gain. Riverdale has a big game this Friday against Griffin that will determine the number two seed and home-field advantage for the first round of state playoffs.

Ben Barkley, Sports Editor

This is it. The last week of the regular season in 5A football. Despite it being the last week, there are still great matchups with big implications.

Here are the three big matchups in the regular season finale.

Starr’s Mill vs. Fayette County

Nov. 8 at Starr’s Mill

It doesn’t get any better than this matchup. The region championship is on the line as our Panthers return home to take on the Fayette County High School Tigers.

A win gives Starr’s Mill its history-clinching fourth straight region championship, and will tie them with Sandy Creek for the most region championships in county history. The boys know that history is in sight, so expect them to play their hearts out and hold the trophy high in the end.

Riverdale vs. Griffin

Nov. 8 at Southern Crescent

So much for dethroning the Panthers in the region. Both Griffin and Riverdale thought they had a chance to finally defeat Starr’s Mill and plant themselves atop the region. However, both teams figured out quickly why the Panthers have won the region for the last three years.

Now, these two teams face off with big implications — a number two seed and home-field advantage in the first round of state playoffs. This game will be action-packed and full of offense just like when the Panthers faced off against these two teams. 

Whitewater vs. McIntosh

Nov. 8 at Whitewater

Spoiler alert: Whitewater might make the playoffs this season. Despite an abysmal season, a win over Jonesboro — a team that lost three straight games after losing to Whitewater 21-20 — has put the Wildcats in a must-win situation over McIntosh to clinch the four seed.

However, the Chiefs will look to spoil a chance at the postseason for the Wildcats, making this game a can’t-miss contest.

There you have it. Three big games all with huge stakes. We shall see how it all turns out in the end. Stay tuned, because this is the calm before the storm,  state playoffs.

All games kickoff at 7:30 p.m.