Battle for the Troops celebrating tenth anniversary

The+Battle+for+the+Troops+will+commemorate+its+ten-year+anniversary+at+the+varsity+soccer+games+this+year+at+McIntosh+High+School.+All+proceeds+from+the+event+go+to+support+local+veterans+and+first+responders.+

The “Battle for the Troops” will commemorate its ten-year anniversary at the varsity soccer games this year at McIntosh High School. All proceeds from the event go to support local veterans and first responders.

Emily Hawkins, Staff Writer

On its tenth anniversary, the annual “Battle for the Troops” will be commemorated with two soccer games at McIntosh High School. 

The annual sports event is meant to fundraise for those serving in the military, as well as honor veterans and first responders. 

To commemorate the event, varsity soccer games will be hosted at McIntosh High School. Veterans and first responders are encouraged to attend. 

Donations collected at the games, spirit nights at local restaurants such as Mike & C’s Family Sports Grill, and t-shirt sales have been organized in preparation for the annual event.

The Battle for the Troops was first created as a community project for Starr’s Mill athletes in 2010. Senior athletes Katrina Frost and Lauren Swany discussed the idea of a supplies drive and fundraiser to support graduated students in the military. 

The idea was put into play, and since then, the event has been hosted at McIntosh or Starr’s Mill whenever home games are played on each respective field. McIntosh is hosting the event this year.

Veterans and first responders are invited. A hospitality tent will be available from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. 

Tickets are available online for the 2021 Battle for the Troops on April 1. The girls game begins at 5:45 p.m. with the boys game to follow at 8 p.m.

All donations from the event will go to support local veterans and first responders.