Panthers remain undefeated in area play after 16-1 victory over Trinity

Annika Pepper

Senior Barrett Schmidlkofer passes the ball, while teammate sophomore Charles Cocrhan runs toward the goal. Trinity entered Thursday’s game 8-2 and the Panthers came in 8-4 with both undefeated in area play. Starr’s Mill capitalized on strong offense and communication, winning 16-1.

Abby Carter, Editor-in-Chief

Starr’s Mill hosted area rival Trinity Thursday night. After great action on both sides of the field, the Panther defended the jungle and won 16-1. 

Starr’s Mill senior Nate Mitchell squares off in the X against Trinity freshman Jude Hanna. Mitchell dominated the X, only losing once the entire game. “If I show up with energy to the X and I win them clean and push it down to the boys fast, then that just sets the tone for the offense to play fast, play smart,” Mitchell said. “When I’m moving fast I feel like the team is quicker. It feels good to have the energy for them.” (Annika Pepper)

“I think we finally clicked tonight as an offense and as a team,” senior Barrett Schmidlkofer said. “It showed.”

Barrett led the Panthers with four goals and one assist. Senior Charlie Crockett and sophomore Charles Cochran each added three goals and three assists. 

The only scorer for the Lions was Junior Trevor Griffin with one goal in the fourth quarter with 1:51 seconds left on the clock. 

Starr’s Mill came out strong with a lot of energy and kept it moving throughout the first half. They could control the ball right out of the draw. 

The offense also had great communication up at their goal creating multiple scores with assists. With more contact from the defense they were able to defend the goal the few times Trinity threatened. The first half ended with Starr’s Mill up 10-0.

“You have to move. If you’re standing still, you’re wrong,” head coach Jeff Schmidlkofer said. “We’re pretty good on defense and they got the understanding of what we do on defense but offensively we’re just trying to work these pairs.”

Crockett looks to teammates to pass the ball. “I try to be the loudest one on the field at all times so people are just ready to go,” Crockett said. “Not worried about the game but just excited to play, so keeping loud just keeps them going.” (Annika Pepper)

After the half began the game was put on a running clock, which lasted the rest of the game. Starr’s Mill kept up the hustle and energy despite frustration from Trinity. 

Facing no real threat from the Lions, the Panther offense slowed a bit in the second half. Trinity would net their lone goal of the game with less than two minutes to play. Starr’s Mill remains undefeated in area play after the 16-1 victory.

“Coach [Schmidlkofer] does a great job scheduling good teams so we get prepared for our better teams that we’ll face later on in the playoffs,” Crockett said. 

The Panthers host non-area opponent Lambert High School on March 26 at 1 p.m. in Panther Stadium. Starr’s Mill faces their final area opponent on April 21 when they travel to McIntosh.