JV girls control the draw en route to 14-10 win over Lovett

Two+players+fight+for+possession+of+the+ball.+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+utilized+a+quick+lead+and+solid+control+of+the+draw+to+defeat+Lovett+14-10.+

Katie Johnson

Two players fight for possession of the ball. Starr’s Mill utilized a quick lead and solid control of the draw to defeat Lovett 14-10.

Mateya Petrova, Staff Writer

JV girls lacrosse controlled the tempo of last week’s game versus Lovett, leading to a 14-10 win.

“If you get a fast break you can go on every draw you win,” head coach Tony Kluemper said. “Controlling the draw just really helps keep the game in your favor.” 

Sophomore Erin Stone led the Lady Panthers with five goals. Eighth graders Anna McFaddin contributed three goals of her own, while freshman Ellie Hodeck added two.

Freshmen Sydney Johnson, Addie Lally, and Claire Manetti, and sophomore Emma Frank had a goal apiece. 

Francie Lovein and Virginia Madden each had a hat trick to lead the Lady Lions in scoring.

Sloan Balsley, Kaitlyn Castlelaw, Mimi Knox, and Abby Odegard also scored. 

“We have a lot of girls who can take the ball to the cage,” Kluemper said. “We don’t have one player who’s just continuously scoring all of our points. We have a lot of people who have the ability to score.”

Starr’s Mill scored twice in the first two minutes of the game. Lovett then responded with two goals of their own to tie the game at 2-2. After scoring the next two goals, the Lady Panthers controlled possession and maintained the lead. Starr’s Mill was up 7-4 at halftime.

“The team has been working on ground balls and passing,” Stone said. 

The Lady Panthers again scored a pair of goals to begin the second half and extend the lead. Despite Lovett scoring four of the five final goals in the game, it was not enough. Starr’s Mill won 14-10.