Lady Panthers roll through first round of state playoffs

Crista Alarcon

Sophomore Madi Cathcart attempts a goal against New Hampstead. The game ended in a mercy rule five minutes into the second half. After the 10-0 win, the Panthers will host the Spalding Jaguars on April 19 at 6 p.m.

Jessica Doyle, Staff Writer

Despite playing with a limited roster last night, the Lady Panthers easily advanced into the second round of the state playoffs, defeating New Hampstead 10-0. Five minutes into the second half the game ended due to mercy rule.

“We worked hard together and adjusted to the different positions that we were in,” sophomore Madi Cathcart said. “We all tried to do the best we could without our whole team playing.”

Lady Panthers cheer while watching from the sidelines. Seven different players scored for Starr’s Mill as they dominated possession and the scoreboard. (Crista Alarcon)

Seven different players scored in the first half with Starr’s Mill leading 8-0 at the break. 

Starr’s Mill dominated possession throughout the entire first half. Sophomore Olivia Shaw scored within the first two minutes of the game. Freshman Juliana Biel, senior Lauren Gutshall, freshman Kendra Ivaska, sophomore Emily Daniel, sophomore Madi Cathcart,  and senior Sophia Shaw then scored. Cathcart found the back of the net once again with 30 seconds left in the half to put the Lady Panthers up 8-0.

“I think our team chemistry has gotten a lot better, and that’s helped us on the field because we work really well together and connect passes and move up the field,” Gutshall said. “It’s how we’ll get further in playoffs.” 

Gutshall and Olivia posted two more goals in the first five minutes of the second half to enact the mercy rule. With the dominant 10-0 win, the Lady Panthers advance to the second round of the state playoffs.

“We work hard, we play well, we support each other, we push each other,” head coach John Bowen said. “We do really well for the most part.”

New Hampstead finishes the season 2-11 overall.

“We played good,” Olivia said. “As we move further into the playoffs we need to improve. Every single game we always need to think of something we need to improve on.”

As the top seed in AAAA Region 4, Starr’s Mill will host the second round of state playoffs. After defeating Cairo 3-0, the Spalding Jaguars will travel to Panther Stadium on April 19. The match begins at 6 p.m.