• Underclassmen exams scheduled for May 22-25

• Graduation ceremony planned for 7 p.m. on May 25 in Panther Stadium

• GSPA names Principal Allen Leonard Administrator of the Year

• The Prowler earns 10 individual awards at GSPA, maintains Superior rating

Beta club

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

Purpose

• Promote the ideals of academic achievement, character, service and leadership among students

Details

• Maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 90% to join
  • Attend one meeting each month

Sponsors

• Kristin Peavyhouse and Kelly Rock

The Starr’s Mill chapter of Beta club is part of the National Beta club and has been almost since Starr’s Mill opened. The Beta club, having the motto “Let Us Lead by Serving Others,” helps with fundraisers and events around the community.

The events Beta club serves in range from marathon volunteering, mentoring, working concession, and helping with canned food drives. Being part of the Beta club lets students experience different things around the community while also showing leadership.

“I think that in several situations [Beta Club] lets students get an idea about finding things that they really enjoy doing,” Rock said.

As one of the big events, the Starr’s Mill Beta Club goes to State Beta Club Convention each year. This year the event was held in Savannah, Ga., from Jan. 24-26. The State Convention gives students the opportunity to interact with club members from other schools and showcase their project ideas, leadership and academic abilities.

Starr’s Mill Beta club is the only school that participates in the State Convention each year out of all the Fayette County schools.

This April, the Beta club inducted around 200 new students with 450 active members already in the club. All of the new inductees and current Beta club members are expected to be at the Beta club meeting in May, where students vote on new officers for the 2018-2019 school year.

“I like getting to know the students,” Peavyhouse said. “Beta Club Convention is my favorite thing all year because you get to get away and get to know the students and we have a good time.”

Rating: 0.0/5 (0 votes cast)