Thespian Society

Jordan Bobbitt

At the 2017 Georgia Thespian Conference, students had the opportunity to explore a variety of workshops. Some took part in competitions, such as the Improvisation Competition.

Yuri-Grace Ohashi, News co-Editor

Purpose

• Raise awareness for the Starr’s Mill Drama Department and foster an interest in theatre and productions
  • Participate in community service activities
  • Promote a sense of community within peer groups

Details

• Troupe 6412
  • Monthly meetings held in the drama room
  • Point system to achieve different levels of membership: 10 points for induction, 60 Honor Thespian, 120 National Thespian, 180 International Thespian

Officers and Sponsor

• President: Nora Bill
  • Vice President: Emily Treon
  • Treasurer: Jordan Bobbitt
  • Secretary: Jillian Ruvalcaba
  • Sponsor: Andrew Snider

“What I like to do with the Thespian Society is have them be the cheerleaders for the drama department to get students in Starr’s Mill to be aware of the program,” drama teacher and Thespian Society sponsor Andrew Snider said.

Students do not have to be enrolled in a drama class to join the Thespian Society, and members can get involved in a variety of ways in order to earn points towards the different levels of membership. Points can be acquired by participating in a production either as a performer or through stage crew, watching different productions, ushering, working with tech crew, attending festivals, competing in events or through taking summer classes and intensives. Points roll over from year to year and accumulate throughout high school.

Those who earn the ten points required for induction have the opportunity to attend the annual Georgia Thespian Convention held in Columbus. Troupes from all over the state congregate to take workshops, watch performances, audition for colleges or scholarships, compete in individual events for judges, and share their passion for theatre and acting. Snider himself was a member of the Thespian Society in high school and attended Thescon.

“I went to Thescon for two years as a junior and senior,” he said. “It’s fun to see what I thought was so cool when I went compared to what my students think is cool now. There are several similarities, which just shows how a passion for theatre doesn’t change.”

Starr’s Mill’s chapter of the International Thespian Society, Troupe 6412, also acts as a network uniting students with an interest or passion for the fine arts. The Mill’s troupe works with others in the county such as Northgate, McIntosh and Whitewater, planning get-togethers or service projects to collaborate on. This year, the local troupes participated in “Trick-or-Treat so Kids Can Eat” and collected food that was then donated to the Real Life Center in Peachtree City. The Fayette County troupes hope to continue participating in community service events in the future.

“Thespian Society is a great way for students to get involved with their peers and community,” Snider said. “It’s very helpful if you’re interested in joining the drama department or are already a part of it.”