Spanish Club

Submitted by Shayne Thompson

Along with other activities, the Spanish Club participated in the annual foreign language kickball tournament this spring. “I was so excited to see the members come together to to have a fun and eventful afternoon,” club sponsor and Spanish teacher Shayne Thompson said. “I’m excited to participate again next year.”

Emma Posey, Staff Writer

Purpose

• To enhance what is taught in the classroom
  • To learn about various cultures and different nationalities

Details

• Open to any student currently or previously enrolled in a Spanish class
  • Meets once a month in Shayne Thompson’s room 647

Sponsor

• Shayne Thompson

Spanish teacher Shayne Thompson became the sponsor of Spanish club this year when previous sponsor Laura Alldredge relinquished the title. “ I enjoy being able to learn about the fun stuff with all of the members,” Thompson said.

The club focuses on learning about different cultures, different nationalities, and different countries. The members participate in Operation Christmas Child and donate their money and time for children in need. They also participate in the annual foreign language kickball tournament.

“I think it’s a fun way to get engaged in the language and to really understand why it is important to learn this language,” Thompson said. Students go into detail learning about different celebrations, dances, clothing, and ways of life.

To join, students must attend the first meeting on Aug. 30 and pay the $15 dues.

“The kids are my favorite part,” Thompson said, “They really seem to enjoy and are interested in learning about the culture.”