Golf sweeps state tournament

Submitted by Burt Waller

Both golf teams pose with head coach Burt Waller and the state championship trophy after the final hole on Tuesday. Starr’s Mill closed out their season with a sweep of the AAAAA state tournament, with senior Jocelyn Gao taking home the girls’ individual state title.

John Webb, Staff Writer

The golf team wrapped up their season this week in a big way. With strong showings from a slew of golfers, both the boys and girls teams won their respective state championship.

The girls team easily secured their title early in the second and final day of play, winning by a massive margin of 21 total strokes over their closest competition, Veterans High School.

With a collective score of 474 strokes, senior Jocelyn Gao led the entire field. Along with the team championship, Gao also placed first individually after shooting a 77 on Monday and a 78 on Tuesday.

The girls also had excellent performances from sophomores Ellie Camp, Mary Hunter, and Liza Eubanks, who all contributed to a new school record on the second day of competition with a collective team score of 234 strokes.

The boys’ team also took home their first ever state championship. Finishing play with a 10 stroke lead over Ola High School, the team shot a collective score of 595 strokes, led by senior, and Utah commit, Andrew Crockett.

Crockett also placed second overall in the individual results falling just two strokes behind McIntosh’s Jackson Lawlor who shot 141 over both days.

Freshman Luke Phillips shot 76-72, sophomore Mason Mayfield and senior Palmer Wilson both shot 74-78, and Trevor Munk shot 83-83 which combined with Crockett’s 72-71 was enough to take home first overall.

As both teams close out the year on high notes, the future is bright for Panther golf. Although both the boys’ and girls’ teams will be losing their individual high scorers as well as a core of seniors, both teams have young golfers who have proven they can compete and win at the biggest stage.