Retired History teacher returns to the Mill

+History+teacher+Jon+Gloer+helps+junior+Alex+Rivera+with+an+American+Revolution+chart.++Gloer+returned+to+Starrs+Mill+after+retiring+in+May+2013.+He+teaches+three+periods+a+day.+

Taylor Milligan

History teacher Jon Gloer helps junior Alex Rivera with an American Revolution chart. Gloer returned to Starr’s Mill after retiring in May 2013. He teaches three periods a day.

Taylor Milligan, Staff Writer

“I’m a born-again teacher,” U.S. History and Government teacher Jon Gloer said.

After teaching for nearly 30 years, 26 of them in Fayette County, 16 at Starr’s Mill, Gloer decided it was time to retire in May 2013.  He thought about augmenting his retirement by taking a half-day teaching position somewhere in the county, but during that summer, his wife left her job to go in a different direction career-wise.  “Now, going back into the classroom looked like more of a necessity,” Gloer said.

First, Whitewater offered him a part-time position working a three-period day.  Two weeks later, Our Lady of Mercy, a private high school, offered him a full-time teaching job.  Gloer decided the full time offer was the better option and took the OLM job. He was also going to be an assistant football coach, reuniting him with former Panther football coaches Mike Earwood and Glenn Griffin.

His year at OLM, however, didn’t run as smoothly as he had anticipated, he said.  “I had no problem with the students, but I just felt out of my comfort zone among the staff being the new guy,” he said.

Gloer said he also uncomfortable with the principal’s management style. “I didn’t like how the principal tried to micromanage everything the teachers did. One thing I like about Mrs. Toney is that she lets us teach,” Gloer said of SMHS Principal Audrey Toney.

Gloer said he remained in “constant contact” with Toney about the possibility of coming back to Starr’s Mill while he was at OLM.  Toney asked the Fayette County Board of Education to approve a 49 percent position in Social Studies. Once it was approved he was able to return. He commended Toney for “pulling strings” in order to bring him back. “She had to work some deals to make it work.”

However, Toney said that Gloer’s return was among many. “It was basically a domino effect,” Toney said. “Teachers within one year of leaving or retiring decided to come back to Starr’s Mill.”

Gloer’s part-time position opened up after Walt Ellison, who taught Special Education, began teaching Social Studies.  Gloer teaches U.S. History first and second periods and Government third period.

His shortened workdays allow him to get an early start on his weekend. He and his wife sometimes travel to Charlotte, N.C., to spend time with his son Ryan and his family.  “The part time schedule keeps my wife and me really busy after school,” Gloer said.

Gloer said he is excited every morning to teach at the Mill again. He enjoys interacting with his students and feels comfortable with the familiarity among his co-workers.

Gloer’s students enjoy his teaching techniques and style. “He’s very engaging and jokes around with the students,” junior Helena Resler said. “I’m usually not interested in history, but he makes it interesting.”

Junior Lauren Christian agrees that his classes are engaging. “I like how he uses animations in his Power Points. It makes class entertaining,” Christian said.

World History and AP Euro teacher Rebecca Rickeard is also pleased with Gloer’s return. Rickeard was a student at Fayette County High when Gloer taught there and has known him for 20 years. “He taught one of my friends in high school, so I knew he was a good teacher even then from her,” Rickeard said. “This is where he belongs.”

Gloer won’t return to the football field, but he will resume his sponsorship of the annual Close Up trip to Washington, D.C. “I really want to see a large group go this year,” Gloer said.

The Close Up trip is Jan. 17-23.  Students enrich their Social Studies skills by getting first-hand look at how the government operates.  Sign-up packets are available in his classroom, room 844. The first deposit is due Monday, Oct. 20. If students or parents have questions about the trip, he said they can contact him at [email protected].

“It’s great to be back,” Gloer said.