Speech and Debate Team set goal to be national qualifiers

Aug. 26, 2015 - Debate Team captains Darius Copper and Liam O’Connell stand up and ask for ideas related to the new debate topics in preparation for the team’s next competition.  The team travels to Houston County High School on Sept. 12.

Ashton Long

Aug. 26, 2015 – Debate Team captains Darius Copper and Liam O’Connell stand up and ask for ideas related to the new debate topics in preparation for the team’s next competition. The team travels to Houston County High School on Sept. 12.

Ashton Long, Staff Writer

At the start of this year’s season, the Speech and Debate team captains and coaches already have high hopes of meeting last year’s accomplishments and placing in as many tournaments as possible. “Our goals are to be varsity state champions and a national qualifier,” English teacher and debate coach Brandon Kendall said.

The team gathers two-to-four times a week to prepare for upcoming competitions during mandatory practices after school on Monday and Wednesday afternoons or during optional practices on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons.

Debate members meet in Kendall’s classroom to run mock debates, gather evidence for their cases and discuss possible arguments, while the speech members go to Psychology teacher and speech coach Sean Hickey’s room to give practice speeches and discuss current events.

“I think that every speech and debate student is talented,” Hickey said. “It takes a lot of courage to present in front of strangers.” Hickey focuses on helping his students overcome the fear of performing in front of an audience.

“I made sure to expose myself to as many tournaments as I can and get as much experience as I can to overcome public speaking,” said senior Dhruva Jandhyala, second-year impromptu and extemporaneous speaker and speech captain.

Debate captain Darius Copper, a senior and a third-year member of the team, uses tournaments to overcome his fear of public speaking as well. “It definitely helps you be comfortable with yourself,” he said. “It helps you talk to other people and talk to people you would not usually talk to and debate against them.”

Throughout the year, Speech and Debate members compete in a variety of widely-recognized tournaments including tournaments in Alpharetta on Oct. 3, Carrollton on Nov. 13-14 and Henry W. Grady on Jan. 22-23. At the end of the season, they can also compete in first or second year state, varsity state and the national qualifier meet.

Hickey hopes that this year will top the last, not only by winning more trophies like the Director’s Cup, but by ensuring that members have fun, learn from their mistakes and walk away from the season with great memories.

Their first tournament was at Columbus High School on Sept. 5, where the team placed first or second in every event they entered.  Seniors Dhruva Jandhyala, Evan Johnson, Aasim Noorali, juniors Alexander Davis and Ethan Roland, sophomores Tyler Holt and Madison Hinson qualified for the varsity state tournament to be held in the spring.

The team will continue pursuing their season goals in their next tournament at Houston County High School on Sept. 12.