Starr’s Mill plays host to band exhibition

Sept.+21%2C+2015+-+Members+of+the+Panther+Pride+marching+band+join+in+as+the+eighth+graders+play+%E2%80%9CThe+Hey+Song.%E2%80%9D+Bands+from+every+middle+and+high+school+in+Fayette+County+begin+their+competition+season+with+a+band+exhibition%2C+and+this+year+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+hosted+it.+

Jenna Sanders

Sept. 21, 2015 – Members of the Panther Pride marching band join in as the eighth graders play “The Hey Song.” Bands from every middle and high school in Fayette County begin their competition season with a band exhibition, and this year Starr’s Mill hosted it.

Jenna Sanders, Staff Writer

High school bands have been practicing since near the end of summer and are ready to show off what they’ve learned and worked on at their first performance that isn’t backdropped by the football players.

The Panther Pride hosted a marching band exhibition on Sept. 21 at Panther Stadium. The bands from each Fayette County middle and high school perform annually at these exhibitions, and the host school changes every year.

Senior assistant drum major Alexis Halm has been to two exhibitions during her time with the Panther Pride. “It is very exciting to have the exhibition hosted here because it’s fun to be able to see all of the other bands but still be at our stadium,” Halm said. “The last time we went to exhibition was my freshman year, and it was held at McIntosh, which was still as much fun as it was this year, but it’s always nice having the home field advantage.”

This year is the first time any of the Panther Pride members have helped host an exhibition. The exhibition provides all five Fayette County high schools a chance to perform in front of a panel of  judges, while the middle schools performed stand tunes and played the “Star Spangled Banner.” For some schools, this is the first opportunity of the year to try out their entire routine, hear feedback and make adjustments prior to the real competitions.

“This year, we have a strong band which is part of the reason for our show being as challenging as it it,” Halm said. “Mr. King knows that his students are able to play difficult pieces, so he showcases this in the show.”

Judges watched the performances, and gave feedback for the band to improve, but no scores were given. The bands are at the exhibition so they can practice performing in front of people who want to see their show. The members of each band stayed to watch the other performances.

“I expected to have a pretty full stadium because band parents are the best and will always be there supporting their child,” Halm said. “While there are still rivalries [between schools], they still support every band and the show that is performed.”

The students, when not performing or warming up, sit in the stands to dance, watch other shows and talk to fellow members. Watching the different shows allows band members to observe different styles of performance, and consider their goals for competition season.

Band director Scott King has goals for all of the bands attending the exhibition, “My personal goal is to stretch the performers to strive for excellence and something greater than they thought they could do originally,” King said. “Also, I want to develop this show, or production, into its full potential.”

The Panther Pride’s hard work at the exhibition already paid off Sept. 26 in Milledgeville at the Oconee Invitational where they earned the title of Grand Champion. They also won third place in overall show on Oct. 3 at Central Carroll High School’s Superbowl of Sound competition.