5 student athletes sign college letters of intent

Five+Panther+athletes+smile+after+they+sign+their+college+letters+of+intent.+The+signing+took+place+at+9+a.m.+on+Nov.+12+with+parents%2C+coaches+and+administration+in+attendance.+

Spencer Dawson

Five Panther athletes smile after they sign their college letters of intent. The signing took place at 9 a.m. on Nov. 12 with parents, coaches and administration in attendance.

Spencer Dawson, Features co-Editor

On Nov. 12, five student athletes signed their college letters of intent surrounded by family, friends and coaches who helped them get to this defining moment in their sports careers. All the sweat and hard work that has gone into preparation for college recruitment paid off for these athletes.

Seniors Alexis Farley, Alysen Febrey, Alli Jones, Shelby Myers and Alyssa Sack all signed letters of intent to their respective universities.

Alexis Farley – Mississippi State University – Track and field

“It was an amazing feeling for both me and my family and I’m excited to start this new chapter of my track career,” Farley said.  

Farley participates in five events for the Starr’s Mill track and field team: long jump, triple jump, 100 meter hurdles, 4 by 100 relay, and 4 by 400 relay.

She won the 2015 Georgia High School Association AAAAA state championship for long jump. “Even though I was shocked and amazed I won a state championship, I knew I was mentally and physically prepared,” Farley said.

Alysen Febrey – University of Georgia – Softball

“She is very dedicated to the game of softball and works hard to make herself a better player,” softball coach Mark Williamson said.

During her four years on the varsity softball team for Starr’s Mill, Febrey won 31 games as the starting pitcher and leads the school in Runs batted in and home runs. “Alysen played a huge role in our success the past four years culminating in the team’s first trip back to the State Tournament since 2007,” Williamson said.  “She is such a good athlete that she can play almost any position on the field and be successful.”

Alli Jones – University of North Georgia – Basketball

“I’m excited to spend the next four years playing for North Georgia,” Jones said.  

Jones has played basketball since she was five years old and played at the varsity level at the Mill for four years. “My favorite part about playing basketball is the relationships made with my teammates,” Jones said.

Shelby Myers – August University – Shot put and discus

“Shelby was ranked 7th last year in the state for shot put,” track coach Chad Walker said.

Shelby has participated in track and field at the Mill for four years.  “She is hoping to rank higher this year, and I know she and Alexis will make a huge impact on this team,” Walker said. “This year is one of our best chances to make a run at a really good finish in the state with those two and a talented team.”

Alyssa Sack – Lenoir-Rhyne University – Lacrosse

“I was really excited to officially sign,” Sack said.

She looks up to her coaches she had at an early age that taught her how to perfect her sport. “My biggest role model was my fourth grade coach, Coach Uy. He taught me everything I know about lacrosse,” Sack said.

Sack has played varsity lacrosse at the Mill for four years. She is thankful for the relationships she made with her teammates. “My favorite part about playing lacrosse is the team aspect and getting to bond, practice and play games with all of the girls,” Sack said.  

All of these athletes are excited for their futures in their college careers. “It feels great knowing I found somewhere that I love,”Jones said.

Sack agrees and said “it [is] a once-in-a-lifetime experience.”