Math team excels at Griffin RESA

Submitted by JB Campbell

The Starr’s Mill varsity Math Team placed second at Griffin RESA, only losing to McIntosh High School.

Spencer Dawson, Features co-Editor

On Feb. 8, the Starr’s Mill High School varsity Math Team competed at the Griffin Regional Educational Service Agency math competition. This year’s participants included seniors Josh Tysor, JC Talbott, Derek Camacho, Jocelyn Gao and junior Colton Hazelton. They had a strong showing, placing second in the competition. “The team did a great job at RESA this year. We were very close to finishing first, but McIntosh just edged us out,” Math Team coach JB Campbell said.

Submitted by JB Campbell
Two Math Team members receive their individual award at Griffin RESA. Senior Joshua Tysor tied for first while senior JC Talbott placed third.

Even though they were not able to repeat their first place victory from the 2016 Griffin RESA math competition, the team was still pleased and look to improve in the future.“We were content. We know that we could’ve done better because we won last year,” Talbott said.

Even so, the team showed strength in individual testing and as a team overall. “I was happy that we finished in second. We had multiple people score in the top 4 on the individual test and we got most of the team questions right,” Tysor said.

Tysor tied for first place overall for the individual awards. “I was excited when I heard I tied for first place individually,” Tysor said. “I have been to this event for the past few years, so I felt really prepared for the test.”

Talbott was the second student to take away an individual award, placing third overall in the competition. “I am very happy I placed because there were about 100 people,” Talbott said. “But I knew how to do all the problems so I missed some due to silly mistakes.”

The Math Team now looks forward to their competitions in March and hope to continue their momentum from Griffin RESA into the rest of their year. “We still have the Fayette County Invitational on March 1 as well as the University of West Georgia Math Day competition on March 3, both of which are JV and Varsity tournaments,” Campbell said.