Ex Libris feeds the Mill’s need to read this week

Feed+Your+Need+To+Read+Week+will+take+place+in+the+media+center+during+all+three+lunches+throughout+the+week+of+Jan.+16-19.+The+event+is+part+of+an+effort+by+the+book+club+Ex+Libris+to+develop+an+active+reading+culture+at+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill.+

Katie Linkner

Feed Your Need To Read Week will take place in the media center during all three lunches throughout the week of Jan. 16-19. The event is part of an effort by the book club Ex Libris to develop an active reading culture at Starr’s Mill.

Brock Spence, Staff Writer

This week, Ex Libris, the book club at Starr’s Mill, will host Feed Your Need to Read Week. This is an annual event at Starr’s Mill that takes place in the library during all three lunches.

During each lunch, students will be able to participate in various reading-related activities.

“Feed Your Need to Read Week is important because it gives us an opportunity to showcase reading to all students,” media center specialist and Ex Libris sponsor Rick Wright said.

The week’s activities include:

Jan. 16 – Creative Coloring Craze

Jan. 17 – Harry Potter Reading Challenge

Jan. 18 – Marker Space Fun Day

On Jan. 19, former Starr’s Mill teacher Tim Miller will be speaking in the media center. Miller, author of  “The Coward,” will be selling autographed copies of his book during the three lunches, and he will also discuss his journey to becoming a published author. “The Coward” is a thriller following protagonist Jack Miller as he comes to face his own cowardice after witnessing several horrific murders.

Giveaways will also be held throughout the week.

“[Feed Your Need to Read Week] is a fun way of promoting reading in our school. We have a strong reading culture here and it is a good way to improve that,” Wright said. “It is a good way of getting students to gather and talk about authors.”

The culmination of the event is the annual Ex Libris Read-a-thon, taking place Friday after school. Leading up to the event, students will collect pledges based on the amount of pages they can read during the Read-a-thon. During the event, members of the book club have sponsors either donate a principal sum or a page-based sum determined by how many pages the student can read that evening.

From 4 to 10 p.m., participating students will gather in the Starr’s Mill media center and read in an effort to raise money for victims of Hurricane Harvey. Pledge forms are available in the media center.

“I enjoyed Feed Your Need to Read Week because it was fun to discuss authors I like and eat in the media center with my friends,” previous attendee sophomore Rebecca Tian said.  

Students wishing to participate in Feed Your Need to Read Week need only bring their own lunches to the media center during any lunch period. Cafeteria lunches will not be allowed in the media center. Students are encouraged to invite their friends to attend as well.