Local students question best-selling author

Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+senior+Brittany+Clarke+came+up+with+six+questions+for+the+video+conference+with+best+selling+author%2C+Angie+Thomas.+Four+schools+from+Fayette+County+High+Schools+shared+the+majority+of+the+meeting+with+the+author+to+ask+questions+about+herself+and+her+book.+

Lilly Carter

Starr’s Mill senior Brittany Clarke came up with six questions for the video conference with best selling author, Angie Thomas. Four schools from Fayette County High Schools shared the majority of the meeting with the author to ask questions about herself and her book.

Ashton Long, Staff Writer

Last week, the Starr’s Mill Media Center was one of four Fayette County high schools who hosted a video conference with 2017 best-selling author Angie Thomas. Students had the opportunity to ask this author any questions about her, or her book, in a 45-minute broadcast.

Starr’s Mill media specialist Rick Wright was looking for an author to bring in for Ex Libris, the school’s book club. His search ended when he received an email from McIntosh High School’s media specialist, Emily Hodge. In Hodge’s email she explained that she needed other schools to share the expense for a video conference with Thomas. With this huge opportunity, Wright took the offer.

“The timing was just right, [and] it worked out really well,” Wright said. “But basically, [contacting the author] was something we were already doing.”

Four schools were involved in the video conference with Thomas. McIntosh, who had contacted Thomas, followed second behind Fayette County, then Sandy Creek and Starr’s Mill had their turns to ask questions. These schools had the chance to ask any questions they would like for 10 to 15 minutes.

Best-selling author and former teen rapper Angie Thomas grew up in Jacksonville, Miss. She attended Belhaven University and earned her bachelor’s degree in creative writing. Her best accomplishment was publishing an article in Right-On Magazine.

Her 2017 best-selling novel, “The Hate U Give,” covers racial and police violence issues. The author said she is unapologetic about her book and wants her readers to know that.

“It is always good to talk to authors, because you can see the author behind the book,” English teacher and co-sponsor of Ex Libris Dr. Lela Crowder said. “I think sometimes when [we] read books, we are kind of separated from that.”

After reading, “The Hate U Give,” students and teachers learn the struggles many minorities face living in America.