Fine arts department ends school year on high note

Dr. John Odom rehearses with his 7th period class in the rotunda. The band will perform its spring show on May 3, while various choral ensembles will perform on May 8. One aspect that makes the spring choral concert unique is that much of the show is student-created and student-conducted.

Kyle Soto, Staff Writer

The Starr’s Mill band and chorus programs both have their annual spring concerts approaching on May 3 and May 8, respectively. The spring concerts mark the last performance for both programs for the 2017-2018 school year.

“We’re trying to put together some fun music that’s still a little challenging for the end of the year,” assistant band director Bert Groover said. “We always expect the same preparation from the students.”

All three bands will occupy Willie Duke auditorium this Thursday with the concert starting at 7:30 p.m. The spring concert also marks the fourth and final concert of the school year that is performed at Starr’s Mill, while being the last time seniors perform for the program.

“Sometimes it gets emotional,” Groover said. “Mr. King and I like to let them have options [as to] what they play on their final concert.”

All six Starr’s Mill choirs will take the stage on May 8 at 6:30 p.m. The first half of the show will consist of separate performances from each choir followed by a mix of combinations from different choirs within the program.

Student conductors, seniors who may possibly go on to major in music in college, will also take charge of part of the show as a way to celebrate their commitment to the program.

“We have students choreographers that create all the original choreography,” chorus director Dr. John Odom said. “I teach them the music, [and] the students teach the choreography.”

Both of these shows mark the last performances by the music department for this school year. Mark your calendars and plan to attend!