Stage is set

Troupe 6412 members to audition for ThesCon

Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+Thespians+perform+in+the+spring+musical%2C+%E2%80%98The+Wizard+of+Oz.%E2%80%99+Under+the+direction+of+drama+teacher+Savahna+Silvas%2C+the+show+earned+the+Showstopper+award+at+the+2018+Shuler+Award+competition.+The+show+also+earned+nominations+for+choreography+and+costume+design.+Four+students+from+the+musical+were+chosen+to+audition+for+the+opening+act+at+ThesCon+2019.+

Katie Linkner

Starr’s Mill Thespians perform in the spring musical, ‘The Wizard of Oz.’ Under the direction of drama teacher Savahna Silvas, the show earned the Showstopper award at the 2018 Shuler Award competition. The show also earned nominations for choreography and costume design. Four students from the musical were chosen to audition for the opening act at ThesCon 2019.

Ryan Allen, Staff Writer

Another accolade has been added to the Mill’s Thespian society showcase with four students set to audition for the opening act at ThesCon 2019.

The four chosen to audition include juniors Olivia Wernecke and Celeste Boullion, and senior Clarence White as performers, and junior Kathleen Ryan for tech.

ThesCon is a convention where all inducted Thespians across Georgia come together, attend workshops, watch numerous productions from other schools, audition for scholarships, and talk to college representatives from all over the country. Last year’s attendance was close to 5,000 people.

“I am very excited to see how well these very talented students will do on Sept. 8 and hopefully they will all receive the amazing opportunity to perform the opening number,” drama teacher Savahna Silvas said.

The students had to do a preliminary auditions in which they had to create their own dance combination as well as prepare a song. The three performers were chosen because they are highly skilled in their dancing techniques and vocals.

“I’m so thrilled to have the opportunity to audition for opening number at ThesCon, because it gives students the chance to share the stage with people from all over Georgia doing what we all love,” Wernecke said. “Not only that, but you can make lasting relationships with people you meet.”

They will audition for the opening number on Sept. 7 and 8 at Baldwin High School. The Thespians leave for the three-day ThesCon event on Feb. 7 in Columbus, Ga. Students and the improv troupe will compete in individual events at the convention for the closing act.