Starr Stocking helps families in need

Back to Article
Back to Article

Starr Stocking helps families in need

With lots of fundraisers happening around Christmas, Starr’s Mill guidance department strives to help members of the Panther family with the Starr Stocking donation drive. Anyone can help out by dropping off gift cards into the red Starr Stocking box in the front office.

Shelby Foster

Shelby Foster

Shelby Foster

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

December is the season of giving not only to family members but also to the community. The Starr Stocking donation drive at Starr’s Mill is one place where people can help both — the local community and members of the Panther family.

“I’m really glad we do [Starr Stocking],” guidance counselor Connie Patterson said. “It helps a lot of students who might not have a nice holiday.”

The Starr’s Mill guidance office started this donation drive 15 years ago to help out the students and families at Starr’s Mill who are in need during the Christmas season. The guidance raised the money through events like the practice ACT/SAT and gift card donations from students and parents.

Collections take place from Thanksgiving Break through the week before final exams. The guidance department accepts gift cards to local retailers, and then distributes them to families based on need.

Donations for this year’s Starr Stocking can be dropped off in the front office through Dec. 14.

Rating: 5.0/5 (2 votes cast)
Starr Stocking helps families in need, 5.0 out of 5 based on 2 ratings