Panthers prowl into international recognition

Quill+and+Scroll+is+an+international+organization+that+acknowledges+high+school+scholastic+journalists.+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+students+Emily+Davis%2C+Abby+Carter%2C+and+Rachel+Laposka+won+Sweepstakes+first+place%2C+third+place%2C+and+an+honorable+mention%2C+respectively.+

Jacob Flesher

Quill and Scroll is an international organization that acknowledges high school scholastic journalists. Starr’s Mill students Emily Davis, Abby Carter, and Rachel Laposka won Sweepstakes first place, third place, and an honorable mention, respectively.

Kaitlyn Doyle, Staff Writer

Three Starr’s Mill student journalists placed in the Quill and Scroll competition, launching them into the international spotlight.

Quill and Scroll recognized The Prowler’s Editor-in-Chief Emily Davis as the Sweepstakes winner in the Review Writing category. Her winning story “Netflix short captures human spirit through heartbreak” provides an insightful commentary on the Netflix short “If Anything Happens I Love You.”

Staff Writer and junior Abby Carter earned third place in the Sports Game/Events Coverage category with her coverage of the Starr’s Mill softball team’s region championship victory over Whitewater last fall. 

Op-Ed Editor and senior Rachel Laposka earned honorable mention in the Review Writing category for her piece, “A plea to end the violence.” Her in-depth music review explores artist Anti-Flag’s commentary on racism in the U.S.

Quill and Scroll International Honorary Society for High School Journalists have encouraged and recognized the brightest student journalists since their founding in 1926. 

This year, the number of entries in the competition exceeded 2,500 in over 30 categories from student journalists in six different countries. There were 273 nationally winning entries and 170 honorable mention entries. 

These three award-winning stories can be found on theprowlernews.org.