He’s got style

Harry Styles returns with sensational sophomore album

The cover for Harry Styles’ new album “Fine Line.” “Fine Line” is Harry Styles’ second album after his solo debut two years ago. The album reached number one on the iTunes charts, minutes after its release.

Photo via Twitter (@Harry_Styles)

Joslyn Weber, Staff Writer

Harry Styles is back with a new album. And this time, it’s a hit. 

Harry Styles’ second album, “Fine Line,” skyrocketed to number one album on iTunes in a matter of minutes after being released. 

Harry Styles made his debut as a singer, not with his album in 2017 but in 2010 with One Direction. He was one of five vocalists that became greatly popular as a band, but they broke up five years later.

Three singles generated hype for “Fine Line’s” release. “Lights Up” started the publicity on Oct. 11. “Watermelon Sugar” came out on Nov. 16. “Adore You” finished promoting Styles’ sophomore album with its release on Dec. 6.

“Fine Line” packs a cliche meaning with a soulful and sentimental twist. The album re-encounters his worst breakup with French-American model Camilla Rowe. 

Although it’s hard to choose, my three favorite songs from the “Fine Line” album are “Adore You,” “To Be So Lonely,” and “Sunflower Vol. 6.”

“Sunflower Vol. 6” is the first song on the album that caught my ear. Its unique use of sound just goes to show that Styles can bring in new and interesting sounds to make music. 

The bouncy beat with the drums, the small beeps and blips in the background, and the silvery vocals all tie the song together. Styles’ quiet yet dreamy vocals in the chorus are a perfect segue to the upbeat verses with a perfect drum beat.

“Adore You” is about a guy wanting a girl to let him adore her. It’s amazing, upbeat sound makes you want to jump up and dance crazily with him. Being someone who loves the electric guitar, the solo toward the end of the song brings a whole new perspective.

The background vocals add a new layer to the song and paired with Styles’ vocals bring the track together. 

“To Be So Lonely” is a musical masterpiece. The song’s verses are bouncy and upbeat yet quiet which creates a beautiful sound. Its chorus crescendos with a beautiful array of instruments and background vocals.

Overall, “Fine Line” is an exceptional album with varying degrees of unique musicality that showcases Harry Styles’ original and unparalleled expression of creativity through his music.