Parrish ‘pins’ start of his senior season

Senior Jonathan Parrish (right) attempts to bring his opponent from Dunwoody to the ground at the meet on Nov. 22 at Kennesaw Mountain.

Dan Vinson, Staff Writer

After six years of wrestling, Jonathan Parrish wants to end his senior year on top of the state leader board.

“In our last four matches I’ve placed first and I aim to keep that streak alive,” Parrish said. Wrestling season officially began Nov. 15 against Dacula, St. Pius, Heritage and Newnan at Dacula High School.

“The first meet is what we call ‘mat time,’ ” wrestling coach Burt Waller said. “It gives both the JV and varsity teams a chance to get acquainted with the sport again after the off-season.” On Nov. 18 the wrestling team competed and won against Eagles’ Landing, McIntosh and Fayette County at Fayette High School. On Dec. 3 Parrish placed first against Forest Park and Woodland at Woodland High.

“Parrish approaches the mat ready to compete,” Waller said. “He has really matured over the years and is trying his best to place on a state level.” At the end of the season, the six athletes who place the highest scores at the state meet will receive the titles of State Finalists.

“Being a state finalist would be the perfect way to end my senior year,” Parrish said. “Waller has helped me focus on that goal. He is a big role model to me.”

Whether a six-year wrestler is on the mat or a first-timer facing his opponent, Waller prepares them mentally and physically for the challenge.

“We have a great variation of ages and weight classes on our team, and all of them put in the work required of them,” Waller said.  “All of our underclassmen look really good this year. Michael Shockley, Nick Martin and Colin Hanly are really giving the sport their all.”

Shockley is a junior and a first-year wrestler.  “I am thankful to be wrestling on the varsity team,” Shockley said. “Every time I step onto the mat, I just think about my hand being raised in victory. It’s what motivates me.”

Shockley competed in his first home meet on Dec. 10 against Troup, Woodward and LaGrange.  The only other home meet is Senior Night, which falls on Jan. 14, against Villa Rica and Sandy Creek.

“I look forward to Senior Night,” Parrish said. “It is a huge milestone in my career and I aim to perform at my best.”

Senior wrestler Jake Schaper also is looking forward to Senior Night. He had to adjust quickly to the wrestling schedule because Schaper also played football. The football team had a lengthy season which meant Schaper had to miss several wrestling practices.

“Schaper handles the transition between sports perfectly,” Waller said. “He’s a tough guy. He just grits his teeth and does what he needs to do.”  For example,  the first meet of the season was the day after the football game against Ware County.   “Jake attended both sport competitions,” Waller said.

“The transition is tough at first,” Schaper said, “but as I start to condition myself, it becomes much easier for me to focus on wrestling.”

The Panthers are currently headed to the Chattahoochee River Invitational for a meet at LaGrange High School tonight.