Panthers finish second at regions, third at sectionals, prepare for state

Senior+and+Ole+Miss+recruit+Parker+Langham+hits+a+tough+bunker+shot+during+a+tournament+against+Spalding+County.+Langham+shot+a+37%2C+the+best+score+of+the+team.+

Sharon Tiller

Senior and Ole Miss recruit Parker Langham hits a tough bunker shot during a tournament against Spalding County. Langham shot a 37, the best score of the team.

Dylan Hynson, Staff Writer

The Panther boys’ golf team is 8-1 on the season but it wasn’t an easy ride.

The players learned how to play team golf and not for themselves, according to head coach Burt Waller, and that helped them to win big matches down the stretch and to finish second at the Region 4-AAAAA tournament. Parker Langham, who will be playing college golf at the University of Mississippi this fall, has helped the younger guys learn as well.

“These guys have always played individual golf in their own tournaments,” Waller said. “In one-player tournaments, guys can check out and not perform if they know they are out. In team golf, players have to continue to play in order for the team to win.”

Langham shot a 72 during the region tournament to help the Panthers clinch their spot in the sectional tournament.

“I just went out there and gave it my best,” Langham said. “I wish we would’ve won the region championship and qualified for state, but I’ll take second place.”

One reason why the Panthers didn’t finish on top was because of McIntosh junior Connor Coffee, who shot the region’s lowest score of the day, 68. Jackson Lawlor’s 72 helped give the Chiefs a 6-shot win over the Panthers.

“They [McIntosh] just had a great day,” Waller said. “I feel like we gave it our best effort, but you can’t help it that someone played the best round of their life and they are on the opposing team.”

As the season progressed, the Panthers’ golf team improved from match to match.  Its only loss of the regular season came on March 12 against Northgate. The team shot a total score of 467, its worst score of the season. Sophomore and 2014 region champion Andrew Crockett had a bad round, shooting a 49, his highest score of the year.

Sharon Tiller
Sophomore Andrew Crockett finishes his swing during a late season match against Luella, where he shot a 38.

“Northgate is one round I would love to forget,” Crockett said. “I’ve definitely moved on from that round and I’m looking to finish the season strong.” Crockett shot 74 at regions, finishing third best on the team.

“He’s a great player, we have been truly blessed to have him on this team,” Waller said about Crockett. “He always strives to be the best and we need that from our top competitors.”

The girls had a great season as well, finishing third at regions behind Union Grove and Northgate. The team shot a 311, behind a second-best score of 86 by sophomore team captain Jocelyn Gao. Gao tied for second in the tournament, trailing Union Grove’s Hannah Gasaway, who shot a 79.

“It’s kind of sad the whole team couldn’t go,” Gao said. “but I’m honored to make it to state.”

The girls finished 8-4 on the season, and got better as the year progressed.

“The girls played a lot better near the end of the year,” Waller said. “They have played as a team all year and have great team chemistry.”