Ashmore, Flanders earn All-State honors

Lilly Carter

Junior Kate Ashmore throws the ball after catching it from a pitcher. She was one of the team leaders in runs batted in.

Ty Odom, Staff Writer

Junior catcher Kate Ashmore and freshman second baseman Lauren Flanders both received recognition for the All-State team. Their selection came after sweeping the region 3-AAAAA tournament.

Freshman Lauren Flanders sprints toward first base. Flanders was the team leader in runs scored this season.

Ashmore was one of the team leaders in runs batted in and total hits, with 36 and 34, respectively.

“It’s an honor to be on [the All-State team],” Ashmore said. “It was a lot of hard work that paid off.”

Flanders led the team in stolen bases with 30, as well as finishing second in total hits with 35 in 28 games and a .436 batting average. As a freshman, making the All-State team shows tremendous potential for years to come.

“It sets a good example for the eighth graders coming up,” Flanders said. “Having myself and my teammate in All-State helps build the program.”

Both Ashmore and Flanders played great this season, helping the Lady Panthers to a 15-3 record and a region championship.