The home stretch

Games to watch as regular season nears its end

Bre Kozusko

Senior Kalen Sims runs the ball against Sandy Creek. Sims and senior Ben Bodne have combined for 1,424 yards and 16 touchdowns on the season. The rest of the backs have to continue their strong play over the last two games in order to beat Riverdale for the region championship. Defensively, the team needs to keep their momentum against a tough Raider offense that’s averaging 37 points a game.

Ben Barkley, Sports Editor

This football season is almost coming to a close, and it has been one good season throughout the region. However, these last two weeks before state playoffs have some good matchups for big-time stakes. 

Here are the two big matchups this week.

Starr’s Mill vs. Riverdale

Nov. 2 at Southern Crescent

Deja Vu? The Panthers have another matchup with the Raiders with the region championship on the line. This exact matchup happened last season, with Starr’s Mill coming out on top 45-22.

Despite the Raiders being undefeated in the region so far this season, the Panthers always find a way to expose their weak spots whenever they face each other. This year is no exception.

Riverdale might have seen success throughout the season, but they haven’t met the two best teams in the region — Starr’s Mill and Griffin. Look for another dominant display from Starr’s Mill, and a fourth straight region championship.

Jonesboro vs. McIntosh

Nov. 1 at McIntosh

The Chiefs make the list again because they can possibly oust Jonesboro from playoff contention. I know that’s bold to say, but Jonesboro has hit rock bottom after beating the Panthers in the first region game of the season.

Losses to Whitewater, Griffin, and Riverdale have hindered the Cardinals’ playoff hopes. If not for a win over Fayette County, they could have kissed the playoffs goodbye.

McIntosh has circled this game on their calendar, and they know that if they can beat both Jonesboro and Whitewater to close out the season, they can squeak into the playoffs for the fourth and final spot.

Be on the lookout for how region play turns out, and with state right around the corner, it’s a great time to be a high school football fan.