• Competitive One Act wins AAAAA state championship

• Football wins region 3-AAAAA for 2nd straight year, hosts Bainbridge Nov. 10

• Junior Nick Nyman wins AAAAA boys' cross country state title, team finishes 2nd overall

• Science teacher Kelly Rock named 2018 Teacher of the Year

The student-run online newspaper for Starr's Mill High School

Clements qualifies for Miss Georgia

Clements+sings+for+the+talent+portion+of+the+Miss+Georgia%E2%80%99s+Outstanding+Teen+competition.+Although+she+did+not+win+this+portion%2C+Cara+received+the+award+of+Best+Overall+Interview.+
Clements sings for the talent portion of the Miss Georgia’s Outstanding Teen competition. Although she did not win this portion, Cara received the award of Best Overall Interview.

Matt Boyd Photography

Matt Boyd Photography

Claire Goins, Staff Writer

Cara Clements, also known as Miss Greater Stone Mountain 2017 or Miss Starr’s Mill Outstanding Teen 2017, has been on top of the pageant game over the past few months. As runner-up in the 2017 Miss Starr’s Mill Pageant, Clements knew that this was not the end of the road for her pageant participation.

“There is a lot more that goes into a pageant than I ever would have thought, and it’s a great opportunity,” Clements said.

Because of her success in the Miss Starr’s Mill Pageant, Clements gained the ability to take her talents to the next level, which was the Miss Georgia’s Outstanding Teen competition. This competition is run by the Miss America Organization with contestants ranging from 13 to 17 years old and little to lots of experience. Located at Columbus State University, the one-week camp was full of rehearsals and events leading up to the competition. Clements met girls from all over Georgia and was able to learn from them and make new friends.

“All of the girls were very intelligent and passionate about advocating for their own platforms,” Clements said.

The service aspect of the competition is held to the highest regard by the Miss America Organization, requiring each participant to promote a cause that they are truly passionate about.

Clements’ specific platform is named “Be Your Own Beautiful” and focuses on supporting Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and advocates for being confident in your own skin. She urges that other young girls also give competing a try if they are considering it.

All of the girls were very intelligent and passionate about advocating for their own platforms.”

— Senior Cara Clements

“The thing that I like about the Miss America Organization is that I don’t consider myself a  ‘pageant person,’ because it’s completely philanthropic,” Clements said.

Besides the service aspect of the competition, other categories included evening wear, fitness, talent and an interview.

“I was able to realize some skills that I didn’t know I already had, like interviewing,” Clements said regarding her winning Best Overall Interview.

As first runner-up at the competition, Clements became eligible to participate in the Miss Georgia competition to be held near the middle of 2018. Now she begins her long process of preparing for Miss Georgia, which will include hours of rehearsals, organizing events and continuing to promote “Be Your Own Beautiful.” Her love for service and passion for competition are attributes that she hopes will serve well at Miss Georgia 2018.

Rating: 5.0/5 (3 votes cast)
Clements qualifies for Miss Georgia, 5.0 out of 5 based on 3 ratings