Competing on a different field

Student Government Association battles McIntosh in annual toy drive

Caylee Cicero

Starr’s Mill’s Student Government Association is now accepting new toys for it’s annual Toys 4 Tots drive. The Mill’s students will compete against McIntosh’s students to see which school can collect the most toys as part of the Battle of the Bubble.

Caylee Cicero, Staff Writer

Beating McIntosh in football is not the only goal for Panthers during the away game against the Chiefs on Oct. 13. Heading into the annual Battle of the Bubble football game, the Mill’s students will compete against McIntosh in a match off the football field. Both schools will compete to see who can raise the most toys for the Toys 4 Tots drive.

Students and fans are encouraged to bring new toys for the drive. Money can also be donated, but only directly to Toys 4 Tots at the game. “We want to come into the game with a ton of toys,” head of Starr’s Mill’s Student Government Association Whitney Shoemaker said.

In addition to collecting toys at the game, there are donation boxes throughout the school, so Starr’s Mill students can begin bringing in toys in advance. Donation boxes are located in English teacher Whitney Shoemaker’s room 715, history teacher Diane Ruane’s room 849, the front office, and the attendance office.

A win in this event will mean much more than any game in which Starr’s Mill surpasses its rival. Truly it will be a victory for all involved. The victor will be not only awarded with bragging rights and a meaningful trophy, but will also know children in need will be overcome with joy when they receive the gifts that have been donated.

The past two years, both of which Student Government has been involved in the event, the Mill has come out victorious in this Battle of the Bubble. The winner of this year’s competition will be announced and the trophy will be presented during halftime of the rivalry game at McIntosh this Friday.