Starr’s Mill battles through another successful Beta Con

Submitted by Kristin Peavyhouse

Starr’s Mill Beta Club students pose for a group photo on the steps outside the convention center in Savannah, Ga.. Members of the club traveled down to Savannah for the annual Beta Convention on Jan. 24-26.

Luke Bennett, Staff Writer

Members of the Starr’s Mill High School Beta Club traveled down to Savannah, Ga., to compete in the Georgia Beta convention. The club left on Jan. 24 and returned on Jan. 26.

“Beta con was so fun, and a great chance to get away from the Bubble and enjoy some fun times with friends,” senior Jo Dearman said.

The group of 94 students was able to spend two days in the city of Savannah. The team spent time with other Beta Clubs from around the state, competed in different academic and talent competitions, and participated in service projects in the area. The team also went to two general sessions to elect the state Beta Club officers.

Starr’s Mill competed in a variety of competitions at the convention. These competitions included singing, dancing, skits, academic categories, and even an art show.

“We did very well this year, ” Starr’s Mill Beta Club sponsor Kristin Peavyhouse said. “We placed in five different categories.”

Seniors Doug Morris, Quynh Phan, and Jo Dearman, along with sophomores Trey-Lee Orndorff, Sydney Turnier, and Olivia Wernecke, won first place in the group talent competition.

Senior Marleena Tamminen earned second place in speech.

Junior Ally Marshall finished second in the Spanish competition, and junior Hikari Ikeda earned second place in the recyclable art competition.

Sophomore Brock Spence rounded out the successful weekend with a third place finish in the math competition.