Magnificent ‘MUSINGS’ magazine

Back to Article
Back to Article

Magnificent ‘MUSINGS’ magazine

Volume XIII of

Volume XIII of "MUSINGS" earned six separate awards from the Georgia Scholastic PRess Association. The cover of the magazine was diligently picked to be eye-catching, interesting, and showcase a magazine others would want to read.

Katie Linkner

Katie Linkner

Katie Linkner

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

The Starr’s Mill literary-art magazine “MUSINGS” has received a “Superior” rating from the Georgia Scholastic Press Association.

“I’m so happy about it. When [Jillian] Bowen told us, I looked at her and had mixed emotions,” senior and co-Editor-in-Chief Madison Martin said. “I couldn’t believe it, but I also thought about how hard we have worked.”

The magazine also earned a “Superior” rating for cover design with junior Julia Edwards’ watercolor titled “Mermaid.”

Additional individual award winners included:

Senior Sarah Yoggy — All-Georgia Photograph — “Abandoned Building”

Junior Sarah Kelley — Superior Poetry — “Just Trying to Survive”

Two graduates from the class of 2017 also earned “Superior” awards in short story writing.  Kayla Christ earned the award for a piece titled “Chapter I,” while Walker Allen’s short story “Requiescat” earned the same distinction.

“[The award] is really kind of all you can hope for. But the thing I am most proud of is that we have it,” co-Adviser Jillian Bowen said. “Basically a different group of kids comes in every year, so we are constantly retraining our staffs and they are still managing to put out a superior product.”

Rating: 4.5/5 (2 votes cast)
Magnificent ‘MUSINGS’ magazine, 4.5 out of 5 based on 2 ratings