Panther Econ team falls short of ‘eternal economic glory’

The+two+Starr%E2%80%99s+Mill+State+Econ+Challenge+teams+prepare+for+the+first+round+of+tests+at+the+Federal+Reserve.+The+two+teams+competed+for+the+purpose+of+%E2%80%9Ceternal+economic+glory%2C%E2%80%9D+according+to+sponsor+Mark+DeCourcy.+

Submitted by Mark DeCourcy

The two Starr’s Mill State Econ Challenge teams prepare for the first round of tests at the Federal Reserve. The two teams competed for the purpose of “eternal economic glory,” according to sponsor Mark DeCourcy.

Claire Goins, Staff Writer

This Monday, eight students represented Starr’s Mill at the State Econ Challenge. Led by economics teacher Mark DeCourcy, the College Prep team placed 4th and the Advanced Placement team placed 7th in their respective divisions.

Both of the four-person teams competed in three different tests involving microeconomics, macroeconomics, and international economics.

“I was excited with the results,” DeCourcy said. “Of course you want to be at the top, and we were very close to qualifying for quiz bowl, especially the CP team.”

The College Prep team was only a few questions away from gaining a top position, and senior Sidney Miller individually was among the highest-scoring competitors.

“I had a great experience at Econ Challenge,” AP team competitor Colin Kelly said. “My favorite part was taking a tour of the Federal Reserve after the competition.”

Those who are interested in participating in the Econ Challenge next year, or anyone who would like to join Econ Club, can visit Mark DeCourcy in room 855 for more information.