Area bands tune up for competition, host exhibition

Katie Linkner

Starr’s Mill Panther Pride marching band performs a movement from their new Fire and Ice routine. This specific movement takes place at the end of “the wedge.”

Emily Davis, Staff Writer

The Starr’s Mill High School marching band is composed of 109 members and is not only mighty in size, but is also mighty in talent. That talent will be on display next Tuesday as McIntosh High School hosts the county-wide band exhibition.

Marching bands from all five county high schools and several middle school bands will participate in the event. A judge will be present to offer criticism and feedback as each band prepares for competition season.

“They’re very hardworking, they’re very enthusiastic, [and] they care a lot about what we’re doing with the football games and preparing for competitions,” band director Scott King said.

This year’s routine Fire and Ice features several new elements, including props and plenty of movement. This year’s props involve unique panels where one side resembles fire while the other resembles a glacier. These props are also incorporated into some of the new movements members will perform while going around the back of these panels, switching instruments and colors, transitioning from fire to ice.

“The Fire and Ice routine is well thought out and put together well. The fast pace of the first two movements create the urgency that is associated with fire. And the sudden slowing down of the third movement makes you think of skating on a lake,” junior Caroline Flowers said. “Then the last movement, which we have not performed yet, is fast paced and presents the image of a furious snowstorm.”

The middle school bands will begin this special night with the National Anthem and then play each school’s fight song. The band exhibition begins at 6 p.m. Tickets are $5 for adults, $2 for students with ID, and children under twelve enter free.