History Bowl team makes history of its own

Courtesy of Rebecca Rickeard

Starr’s Mill History Bowl team poses after their most recent competition. For the first time in county history, the team will travel to the national competition. The team has competed at the state level each of the past two years.

Hayeon Choi, Staff Writer

The Starr’s Mill History Bowl team made history this year by qualifying for the upcoming national meet for the first time in three years. This is the first time ever that a team from Fayette County has qualified to compete at nationals.

“It’s really exciting,” History Bowl sponsor Rebecca Rickeard said. “So proud of these kids. We have been so much more successful this season than the past two seasons they have competed.”

The team was initially offered a spot at nationals prior to qualification because of the potential they have. On Jan. 21, the team officially qualified by winning three out of the fist five rounds.

“They are brilliant. The strength is that they are just these incredibly intelligent students,” Rickeard said. “They are motivated, they love to learn, they love history. So they have learned far more than just what is taught in the classroom.”

In order to get ready for the meets, the team uses study guides and old questions from the past  competitions. The team will continue preparing until the national competition held April 26-28 in Washington D.C.