The student-run online newspaper for Starr's Mill High School

Falling into KICs

Well Panthers, it is that time of year again. The leaves are changing, it is getting colder, and Starbucks has new seasonal drinks. It is fall, the obvious best season. While you are celebrating this great season, here are some KICs to read. This week includes a prison swap in Iran, a 400-pound bear being euthanized, Georgia prosecutors declining efforts from fake electors, a new restaurant opening in Peachtree City, and President Biden raising concerns over his age. 

World – Biden strikes prison swap deal with Iran

Iran and the United States are expected to have a prisoner swap on Monday. The deal is for Iran to release five Americans and the United States to release five Iranians and $6 billion in frozen funds in return.

The prison swap comprises Siamak Namazi, Emad Sharghi, Morad Tahbaz, and two more prisoners whose names have not yet been released. Most of the Iranians were sentenced to 10 years in prison. Two Iranian prisoners will still remain in the U.S. 

Others criticized Biden for including cash because it could help boost their economy, which poses a growing threat to the U.S. The Biden administration has not acknowledged the comments and does not have a confirmed time of the swap. 

National – Wildlife officials euthanize 400-pound black bear due to intestinal block

On September 9, in Telluride, Colorado, a 400-pound black bear was found seemingly in distress. The bear was said to have puffy eyes and was acting feverishly.

The bear was known by the townspeople and law enforcement who had to scare it away several times in the past. However, this time the bear could not be chased away. It tried to intimidate the officers instead. The order to humanely euthanize the bear was given later in the day.

After taking care of the bear, officers performed an autopsy on the bear to find garbage in its stomach. In its stomach were items ranging from disinfectants and napkins to french fries and green beans.

State – Georgia prosecutors decline efforts from ‘fake electors’

Fulton County prosecutors turned down the efforts of “fake electors” to move their Georgia cases to a federal court. This was during a hearing on Wednesday in District Attorney Fani Willis’ Georgia election interference case. 

This is the third time Judge Steve Jones heard arguments to move their cases to the federal court. David Shafer, Shawn Still, and Cathy Latham were requesting their cases move to federal court. These three are former President Donald Trump’s “fake electors” who have been charged in the case. 

The request to move their case to a federal court follows the footsteps of former Trump Chief of Staff Mark Meadows and former Department of Justice official Jeffrey Clark. They claimed that a federal law calls for the transfer of criminal proceedings in state courts to federal courts when a federal official is charged for actions allegedly committed while in office.

Local – New restaurant opens in Peachtree City

Recently, the restaurant Elliott’s opened in Peachtree City, and it already appears to be building a fanbase. It offers a wide variety of food resembling classic Southern dishes.

Elliott’s has a modern farmhouse design with natural light seeping through the large windows, and a sizable outdoor seating area. With its delicious food and the fact that the place is still brand new, it is recommended to make a reservation in order to be seated without having to wait upwards of 30 minutes.

Elliott’s has only been open a month, and Peachtree City residents are digging the quality food, modern atmosphere, and incredible service. It appears Elliott’s will be establishing a permanent residence in Peachtree City. 

Politics – Biden raises concerns about his age at fundraiser, sparking controversy online

During a fundraiser on Wednesday, President Biden lit up social media from a pool report that revealed he supposedly recited the “same story, word for word.” This has sparked controversy online, promoting it as “evidence” that Biden’s age has become a factor. President Biden will be 81 in November.

Social media members on X, previously known as Twitter, responded with sarcastic remarks and raised concerns about his age. National Review contributor Pradheep Shanker stated, “But we aren’t supposed to care about his age and mental state? Okey Dokey.” However, some, like Democrat California Gov. Gavin Newsom, dismissed his age as a concern stating he wants “a seasoned pro that knows how to get things done,” leaving many torn between where they stand. Last month, an Associated Press-NORC poll found that 77% of Americans say Biden is too old for a second term of presidency. Unsurprisingly, 89% of Republicans agreed, with another 69% of Democrats who also say Biden may not be up to the next term, according to the poll.

However, there is still time for a change of mind, as the next presidential election takes place in November of 2024. In the meantime, as Biden continues to be pressed about his age, he only states that people should “watch me.”