Oldies but goodies

The best music for Decades Day

Aelise Gagliano

Students from the class of 2017 participate in a dance off near the attendance office. To help this year’s students prepare for Decades Day, The Prowler has compiled a playlist of the hottest music from each decade celebrated during Homecoming week.

Caylee Cicero, Staff Writer

As Homecoming week approaches, students of the Mill are already eager for a deeply-rooted annual tradition: Decades Day. Decades Day allows students to celebrate the past while preparing for the Homecoming events of the near future.

Included below is a playlist for each decade, all featuring the most iconic songs to prepare the Mill for a day in the past.

The 1950s

What would a ‘50s playlist be without the King himself, Elvis Presley?

— Staff Writer Caylee Cicero

The 1950s marked a new era in music: rock ‘n’ roll. Headlining the scene were Elvis Presley, Buddy Holly, and Chuck Berry. These songs provide a unique style found nowhere else in music with the hard-driving rhythm of electric guitar, voices of all pitches, and a unique blend of rhythm and blues and country. Rock ‘n’ roll not only provided a great sound, but the beginning of a change in cultural perceptions.

What would a ‘50s playlist be without the King himself, Elvis Presley? “I love Elvis and the sound of his music, especially ‘Jailhouse Rock’. It’s super catchy and easy to sing along to,” freshman Abby Gideon said. “Jailhouse Rock” was Presley’s eighth number one song on Billboard’s Pop chart. Also on the playlist is “I Can’t Help Falling in Love” by Elvis. Any song by Elvis encapsulates the ’50s spirit.

Another song featured in the ‘50s playlist is “Rock Around the Clock” by Bill Haley and His Comets, the first rock song ever to top the charts. Some consider it to be the beginning of the Rock Era.  Its upbeat rock ‘n’ roll vibe makes an essential listen for Decades Day.

Click here for the complete ’50s playlist on Spotify.

The 1960s
As music started to drift away from the original rock ‘n’ roll sound, it evolved into more free-spirited, hippie inspired music. The ‘60s were a transitional decade for music where the sound of rock began to change.

From the ‘60s emerged one of the greatest music groups of all time: The Beatles.  Included in the ‘60s playlist is The Beatles’ number one hit song “I Want To Hold Your Hand.” “I Want To Hold Your Hand” was at the number one position of Billboard’s Hot 100 for seven weeks in 1964. Its upbeat tone includes elements of pioneer rock ‘n’ roll as well as a new surf rock vibe which perfectly defined 1960s music.

Also enclosed in the playlist is “Good Vibrations” by the Beach Boys. “Good Vibrations” fully embodied surf rock. California-inspired beats like this overtook the scene in the ‘60s. The title truly expresses the nature of the song: a laid back, groovy rhythm one can’t help but enjoy.

Another genre that sprung from the ‘60s is blue-eyed soul. The Righteous Brothers led the way to form this style of music with “You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’.”  “‘You’ve Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’ is one of those catchy songs you can’t help but sing along to. Another reason I enjoy it is because it’s in my favorite scene in ‘Top Gun’,” sophomore Bekah Algaze said.

Click here for the complete ’60s playlist on Spotify.

The 1970s
The 1970s were the beginning of a massive cultural shift, and with that taste in music drastically changed. Rock was changing yet again and what we now call classic rock was born. The ’70s also marked the birth of an entirely new era, the era of disco.

The ’70s also marked the birth of an entirely new era, the era of disco.

— Staff Writer Caylee Cicero

Included in the ‘70s playlist is one of the most well-known disco songs of all time: “Le Freak” by Chic. “Le Freak” was a clubby dance hit which perfectly captures disco music at its best. Back in the day, it was a number one song on both the Billboard Hot 100 and R&B charts.

Another great artist of the ‘70s on the playlist, Queen, exemplified the many different types of rock popular at the time. “Bohemian Rhapsody,” which many consider Queen’s greatest work, not only included a classic rock component which emphasized ‘70s music, but also a ballad, a guitar solo, and an operatic section. This iconic track couldn’t be left out of a ‘70s playlist.

Also topping the charts in the 70s was “Dreams” by Fleetwood Mac. “Dreams” is a serene soft rock song sure to ease the stresses of Homecoming week. “Fleetwood Mac always calms me down and puts me in a good mood,” junior Zach Garcia said.

Click here for the full ’70s playlist on Spotify.

The 1980s
And finally the ‘80s: big hair, big dreams, and even bigger hits. It’s the decade awarded to our seniors for a reason. Mini skirts, leggings, graphic tees, and ripped jeans are all trends resurging from the ‘80s, much like how ‘80s music is still very relevant today.

With his release of the best selling album of all time in 1982, pop wasn’t the only thing Michael Jackson was the king of.. He also clearly ruled over the ‘80s. Jackson took the music industry by storm when he was just a child, but the heyday of his music definitely took place the ‘80s. “Billie Jean,” his hit featured in the playlist, won a Grammy award for Best Rhythm & Blues Song in 1983. Jackson’s on point vocals and the commanding melody instantly attract any listener to “Billie Jean” and make it an exceptional Decades Day jam.

With classic rock still in it’s heyday, “Don’t Stop Believing,” an empowering 80s hit by Journey incorporated in the playlist, came to be considered one of the best songs in the genre. “It makes me feel like I can do anything, no matter the obstacles,” senior Amanda Banton said. “Don’t Stop Believing” is one of few songs that actually has a valuable meaning and yet it still provides a vibrant beat that makes it perfect to dance and sing along to.

Click here for the complete ’80s playlist on Spotify.

Homecoming festivities continue with the Homecoming parade Sept. 7 at  5 p.m. The parade runs from Braelinn Elementary to Starr’s Mill. It’s followed up by the Homecoming football game the next day at 7:30 p.m. Finally, the week comes to an end with the Homecoming dance on Sept. 9 at 7 p.m.